Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Clarification

So I caused quite a stir on Facebook yesterday with a link I posted that really explained well how I feel about breastfeeding and parenting in general. (The link) And I didn't realize what all the stir was about until I clicked on the link and it brought me right to the comment that I had posted on the blog. Oops.

Let me first apologize for that mistake right now. It was not my intention to post my comment on the blog to Facebook. My intention was the post the entire blog post, as it screams what I feel about the topic. For those who's feelings were hurt because of what I said, I'm sorry your feelings were hurt.

That being said, I am not apologizing for the link, as I still believe it explains how I feel very well. I hate...HATE this arguing, judging, preaching, pushing, that is constantly happening between parents - especially mothers. Everyone seems to think their way is right, and is always trying to make the other side feel bad about it.

You're guilty of it and so am I. And it's not right. Not at all.

We moms should be supporting each other REGARDLESS of how we feel about someone else's parenting practices. It just frustrates me so much that we are constantly being pitted against each other when we should be more understanding of each other! We're all moms, doing the best that we can, and doing what we feel is best for our children! I'm about to impart a huge word of wisdom that will shock you. You ready?

IT'S OK IF WE DISAGREE!!

Crazy I know.

I'm not going to go on and on about this, because, frankly, most people aren't going to listen. I don't want to start another riot, and this is all I'm going to say on this topic. So here it is: my stance on any and all things parenting:

You're going to do what you feel is best for your children, and I'm going to do what I feel is best for my children. If we don't agree, don't preach to me or judge me for doing parenting my way, and I won't preach to you or judge you for doing parenting your way. All children are different and we're all going to deal with our children as we see fit. Plain and simple.

So, breastfeed or don't. Circumcise or don't. Give birth in a hospital or don't. Use drugs during childbirth, or don't. Co-sleep or don't. Vaccinate or don't. Cloth diaper or don't. It's up to you and no one else.

Now, can we PLEASE just play nice?

3 comments:

car2ner said...

so after at least 10 thousand years of civilization you'd think we would have figured out the PERFECT way to raise children, be nice to each other, stop crime and war, etc. Alas, aside from really listening to God, it's not so.

Cousin Karen said...

Sarah, you are absolutely right but this is not a new topic of disagreement. In my 30 years of being a Mom, the same thing was happening when I gave birth. But, it seems today that too many Moms are trying to be politically correct in their "circles". All those decisions, i.e. breastfeeding, vaccinations, etc, are between the husband/daddy, wife/mommy and sometimes their physician. It's not up for debate with friends or family members. Family and friends should respects one's decisions even if it's not the decision they would make. A wise woman, my mom, once gave me the best advice... "when others tell you what to do in raising your child, just agree at the time, and when you get home - do it your way"... I told my own daughter that when she blessed us with a grandchild. It's not worth the frustrations/arguments when butting heads with others. Consider yourself the better person when you can agree to disagree.

Unknown said...

Dawn - You're absolutely right. That's why Travis and I choose to listen to God when it comes to raising Penelope. After all, He's the only one who raised a perfect child.

Karen - Your mother was a very wise woman, and I miss her dearly.