Friday, November 25, 2011

Recipe Review: Chocolate Cream Pie II

Got a recipe you want me to review? Email me here
 

Happy Thanksgiving!! I hope you all had a wonderful day of cooking and eating and turkey comas! I know we did! Travis and I host Thanksgiving at our house every year, and it usually includes just my parents and my brother. This year, my aunt and uncle were able to make the trip and we had a fantastic time hanging out (especially since it was 66 degrees yesterday afternoon!)

Our Thanksgiving menu usually consists of a turkey (HUGE 22lb turkey this year!), stuffing, Memere's noodles, corn, rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce (which we made and then forgot all about this year!). For dessert, we typically do a chocolate cream pie. This year, I decided to make the chocolate cream pie from scratch. I found a recipe on allrecipes.com that looked pretty good and decided to give it a go!

The Recipe: Chocolate Cream Pie II

The Procedure:
First of all, let me say that I am always nervous about making new recipes for guests. Especially with ones like this. I like to make the recipe ahead of time so that I know what I'm doing when I make it for guests and I know that its gonna taste good. My family tend to be guinea pigs for a lot of my recipe endeavors. :-) 

For the crust, I bought a premade Keebler graham cracker crusts. I baked the pie crusts per the directions on the package (brush with eggs and bake for 5 minutes at 375). I pulled them out, put them on cookie sheets, and let them cool.

The steps to make the filling of the pie, which is essentially pudding, are pretty simple. I beat 3 egg yolks, added the sugar and stirred until well mixed. Then I added in the cocoa, salt and cornstarch. The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, but all the reviews I read recommended using 4 tablespoons, so I followed the recommendations of the reviewers and used 4. I slowly added the milk (I used 1.5 cups whole and 1.5 cups skim) and stirred until about half of the dry mixture had dissolved. I poured it into a large pot over medium heat and began stirring until it boiled. It thickened almost immediately upon boiling. After removing the pot from the heat, I stirred in the butter and the vanilla and let it sit for a few minutes to cool. I then poured it into the pie crust, let it cool more, and put it in the fridge to set overnight. The next day I topped it with aerosol whipped cream and it looked so pretty...until the cream sorta deflated and then it wasn't as pretty.
Before the whipped cream deflated

The Verdict:
The filing was fantastic! It was rich and super chocolately, and almost tasted like cake batter. WAY better than anything you could get at your grocery store. The problem was the pie didn't set. It was more like chocolate cream soup. It was still a a hit (I made 2 and there was only half of a pie left), but I was pretty bummed it didn't set right.

The Low-down:
Make at least a day in advanced and allow to set in the refrigerator overnight - maybe even try the freezer. Definitely add more cornstarch, even more than 4 tablespoons.

Since it was so tasty, but needs some work, this one gets 3 out of 5 stitches

No comments: