Friday, November 11, 2011

Recipe Review: Quick Pizza Margherita

We've been trying to eat more at home, but our recipes have been getting kinda boring. We tend to eat the same recipes over and over again. So for the month of November, I've been trying to add a new recipe each week for us to try. We both really like pizza, but don't like the cost (financial and nutritional) of having it delivered. Plus, we'd like something healthier for Penelope than Domino's.

I had a made a Tex-Mex Pizza last week (YUM BTW), and had a leftover pizza crust. I kept it in the fridge and decided that this week I was going to try this Quick Pizza Margherita that I found online. We both really like Margherita pizza so I figured it was worth a shot.

First off, here's the recipe: Quick Pizza Margherita

The recipe calls for pizza dough, but I used a premade refrigerated pizza crust I had picked up from Kroger last week. The outer crust was a little dry (my fault), but it was definitely still useable. Because of this, I was able to skip the first step of prebaking the pizza. I took the garlic, sliced it in half, and rubbed it all over my pizza, but I have to admit, I wasn't really sure how well the garlic flavor would come through (I LOVE garlic!). After slicing up the tomatoes, I layered them on my pizza dough, sprinkled on the cheese, and popped it in the oven. While the pizza was baking, I mixed together the oil and vinegar, and sliced my basil. The pizza smelled amazing while it was baking!

After it was finished, I pulled it out of the oven, sprinkled with salt, pepper, and basil, and drizzled the oil/vinegar mixture. I'm not very good at drizzling small amounts of liquid, so I didn't get as a good of coverage of the mixture as I would have liked. Either way, it smelled really good.

The verdict: OMG amazing! It tasted very fresh, and was super cheesy and satisfying. Plus, the flavors blended so well together that one flavor didn't overwhelm the entire recipe...and you could totally taste the garlic! :-) We will definitely be making this one again! I wasn't able to take any pictures because we ate it so fast!

Penny-Approved!

The lowdown: Get a prebaked pizza dough and save yourself the first step. Fresh basil is also a must for this recipe. This one gets 5 out of 5 stitches!


No comments: